Power Korean Vocabulary Class
REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED
Korean American Center is offering a special three week “Power Vocabulary” class designed to expand your Korean vocabulary through Sino-Korean root words, or Hanja.
Classes will run from 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM for three weeks.
1. Wednesday, November 29, 2017
2. Wednesday, December 6, 2017
3. Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Why study Hanja? Sino-Korean or Hanja(Korean: 한자, Hanja: 漢字) is the Korean name for Chinese characters. Sino-Korean words today make up about 60% of the Korean vocabulary. Having a little background knowledge in Sino root words will give you clearer understanding about the Korean language. Since many Korean words are derived from Hanja even knowing some basic words can greatly increase your vocabulary and knowledge of Korean.
This class will not be focused on writing Hanja, but rather learning Sino-Korean root words that will help you understand more Korean words.
Let’s look at an example:
If we combine 교 (敎), to teach, and 육 (育), to raise, we make 교육 which means education. We can use this process to form new words that have similar meanings. Let’s see what else we can make.
- 교사 teacher
- 교실 classroom
- 학교 school
- 교과서 textbook
- 육아 to raise a child
- 보육 childcare; daycare
As you can see, learning Sino root words will give you a great advantage when it comes to expanding your Korean vocabulary.
Not necessarily. It depends on your purpose.
- Do I want to expand my Korean vocabulary?
- Do I want a deeper understanding of the Korean language?
- Do I want a deeper understanding of Korean culture?
- Do I think Hanja is cool?
- Do I want to use this knowledge to help my family/friends to better learn Korean?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then you should learn some Hanja with us.
My Korean language proficiency is still low, can I still study Hanja?
Yes, of course. All you need is a basic understanding of Korean, at least capable of reading Hangul.
Where Are Classes?
Classes will take place in our offices: 18 Truman St, Suite 208, Irvine, CA 92620
The entire session is $59 plus $5 material fee. All proceeds for this program go to support Korean American Center. Registration is limited, so register today.
TERMS (Please read before registering):
- Registration is not complete until payment is received.
- Fees are non-refundable (except in the case of class cancellation by KAC). Please do not register if you are unsure.
- Fees are non-transferable to another semester. No Credits will be given for missed classes. Since we are a volunteer run organization, we do not have the administrative capacity to handle these requests.